Sunset

Sunset

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

What a Friend We Have in Jesus!

This week I was blessed to see a side of the Lord I was excited to see. I was encouraged by Him, embraced by Him, compelled by Him, but most importantly I needed Him. You see, so often, as the wife of a pastor, we can lose sight that God is our provider and sustains us. We are surrounded by Godliness everywhere and we assume that is the same as being filled with it. I have had the opportunity to watch as God's word ministered to me as well as the excitement of waking up feeling as if I can't get enough of it. I have been a christian for ever and a pastor's wife for most of my marriage. I have seen, experienced, gleaned from, and reflected on God's promises for so long that it is second nature. I am excited because I realize that God is on the throne in my life. Even when I try to push Him off to replace Him with someone or something else, the tough times prove where He sits. I cannot believe that He is so amazing and all He wants is to be my friend. Friendship has always been a hard thing for me. I have a lot of distrust and insecurity from a situation in my teen years, so this basically means no one gets in. I am so blessed to be married to my best friend and to have special people in my life that mean the world to me. However, the most important friend I have is Jesus, the one who died for me. He reached His hand down and extended it to me. He cherishes me and He calls me beautiful. He knows my weakness and faults, yet He sees me through the eyes of a loving Father. AND I am not ashamed to admit I NEED HIM! I need His strength to get me through. I need His love to uphold me. I need His grace to sustain me. I need His peace to consume me. I NEED HIM. I cannot lose sight of that, yet so often I do. I am blessed that my husband is an awesome provider, hard worker, diligent teacher, and loving father. This can often aid in my ability to lose sight of God as my ultimate provider. This weekend I had the privilege of knocking him off of the pedestal I placed him on and putting God back where He belongs. I realized, through a thorough examination of my heart, that the core of it is Jesus, but the foundation had some cracks. They were in need of attention, and I was too busy to do it. I was challenged to address those cracks. I was encouraged to strengthen the foundation. When I looked at God's word, I realized that, in order to continue being a servant of the Lord, I needed to REPAIR REPAIR REPAIR. I had to get my heart right with the Lord and fix the relationship that was in the most need. I needed to spend time with my Friend, so that is what I did. I ran with Him. I cried with Him. I poured out my heart to Him. I sought out His wisdom, I sang with Him, I clung to Him. I was so blessed to be in the presence of Jesus. It is in the times of weakness that He makes us strong. It is through the fire that He refines us. We have only begun to see what God is planning here in the city of Imperial Beach, and I cannot wait to see what God has for us in the future. So many people say 'God never gives you more than you can handle ' but that couldn't be farther from the truth. I am currently witnessing mother in her 30's (who had her husband leave her for another woman) battle stage 4 cancer, find out her brother in law had brain cancer and is given weeks to live, her husband, which she married 1 month before her diagnosis, was found to also have a tumor and they are waiting on the results. Is that really as much as she can handle? I would have to argue with you and say it is unthinkable! I think the statement should more accurately say 'God never gives you any more than He plans on holding you through'. He is so amazing and I can go on forever with that, but I won't. I would like to leave you with this. Psalm 73:25-26. Go read it!

1 comment:

  1. Wow Kim...just wow. This post resonates with me on so many levels. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete