Sunset

Sunset

Friday, August 31, 2012

Life is CRAZY!

There have been many seasons in our life. We have been blessed to see so many come to the knowledge of our Savior. We have experienced amazing joy and deep hurt. We have watched as God took many things and blessed them, as well as cut things out. So, when God called us to lead the people of Imperial Beach to Him, we had no idea of the attacks that would come! We have been in the ministry long enough to know that it does happen, and to a degree went through situations that clearly showed the battle we fight is not physical, however we have never experiences a season like this. I was blessed to have a friend in college who endured a lot of hardship. She was away from home and just a few years younger than me, but we got along very well. Her time at bible college was full of trials. It was as if the moment she decided to go to CCBC, she was open season for enemy darts. This was my first shot at ministry. I loved her, encouraged her. I made myself readily available for her. I admonished her and held her. I had fun with her and took care of her. Looking back, I see that God was teaching me how to carry someone's burden with them. I loved my time there and the blessing my friend was to me. I loved the fact that I was a nurturer. Most importantly, I loved the fact that God would take what little I had and stretch it to bless and minister to her. It was during this time I realized that God had given me this amazing gift: the gift to put others before myself. I knew it had to be from Him, because I was not capable of having that kind of love and compassion on my own. This was where I first began to believe God had called me to be the wife of a pastor. I had been told by many in my past that they had seen this call on my life, but I HAD NO IDEA WHAT THAT MEANT! I married a guy who everyone pegged for the ministry and chuckled because I really knew him. Doubts were everywhere until this season opened my eyes. It was not long after that we began to work with Jr High kids. There were many things I told God I would not do, and somehow they were all the things He had me do. The "I will do anything but this" list included: Marry Sammy, live in the desert, teach Jr High, eat fish, etc,etc. Well, God definitely changed my heart and we were so blessed to serve the Jr. Highers. When we first moved back to SD, I had a hard time adjusting. I had a small baby and Sammy job required him to be the last one at the church. In those days, people did not have all of the tools we have to keep us connected, so they stayed for hours past the sermon. Some days we would not get home until after 11pm. I would put Christian in a backpack, enduring the pain that was associated with giving him free reign to torture me in a place I couldn't see it coming from. I would grab a vacuum or broom and help in any way possible just to get home sooner. However, when we finally got home, we would arrive to our college age neighbor blasting music from the 80's. She loved Prince (or whatever he is called these days) and Cyndi Lauper. Having a background in music, this was DEFINITELY not anything I would subject my worst enemy to. This season we were sleep deprived, stretched incredibly, and drained of every resource we had to offer, but God turned it around for good and we saw Him cultivate a ministry that is still thriving today. That brings me hope. As a giver, I would gladly suffer the pain so that others may see the love of Christ. This crazy life we are experiencing, I would not change for the world. I know that Sammy and I are not alone in this season of craziness. I know that many of those who are serving in ministry are enduring hits (many of them blows) and getting back up to fight. Can I encourage you with this? Keep fighting. Keep pressing on. I started the book of Revelation today and I was not expecting to be encouraged. How silly of me to think I can open up God's word and not be encouraged. Here is the verse the Lord spoke to me from. Rev. 3:11- " Behold, I am coming quickly! Hold fast to what you have, that no one may take your crown." Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment