Sunset

Sunset

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

O Come Let Us Adore Him!



Holidays- how we rush around to find, well, everything! Fulfillment, hope, gifts, joy, happiness. A search for some feeling that is intangible or incapable of description. Everyone does it! We chase the season- feeling to feeling. Tradition to tradition. Sentiment to sentiment. All in search of what? 25 days (ok, maybe more) of decor, music, kindness, food, parties, gifts. Their intent? To find joy. To bring hope. To fulfill a longing. Yet, it is a facade. I am not against all of these things! I love (and miss) them ALL! The problem I am realizing is one that carries into so many other areas in our life. We get so caught up in the things we think are supposed to satisfy that we completely miss out on the point. This season is meant for celebration! By all means- celebrate it! But do so with this realization: Jesus came. Relationship is the gift this season has to bring! Relationship with the One who came down to be with us- who became one of us even! This year, I am given the opportunity to celebrate just that! No frills or traditions. No gifts or even special meals. Just relationship. I know that this year is unique and next year will not duplicate it, but I hope to take this reminder and infuse it into the busyness the season will surely bring. When I put up a tree (probably in November :0) and start to search for the "feelings" of Christmas, I will remember that it is found in the people I share it with. The community I belong to. The parties and gifts are a reflection of my desire to cultivate relationship and enjoy the people around me. That the true meaning of this season was given to us through the sacrifice of our Creator- who came down to save our souls. Christmas. God came down. Our perfect gift. No search for emotions are needed! They are all contained in this glorious reminder:  Luke 2:10-14   "And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord.
And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.'" 
Have a wonderful holiday season! Enjoy your loved ones and make time for them! Put Jesus first and make room for Him in your celebration! 

No comments:

Post a Comment