Sunset

Sunset

Saturday, October 11, 2014

Plagues



It seems like Hungary is a place of Plagues! We arrived to the plague of hornets. Those bugs are the creepiest, largest bugs I have ever seen! The first week we were here one decided to fly into our place. Sammy killed it after a (quite funny) bit of a fight. The next evening, 6-10 of them were dive-bombing our screens. It was insane! So, I looked it up online and found out that, when threatened, hornets let out an attack pheromone. Basically, they are gangster bugs. They did not relent, either! We ended up killing a few more in our house before they killed the hive and bugs. Next plague was Mosquitos, which are still happening! We have had bees, flies, lice (well , not us praise God), and now... Ladybugs. Yup, red spotted bug flying right at your face, covering all the buildings- everywhere! The small children are in love. It is adorable to watch them chase the bugs and try to catch them. It has been so beautiful and warm this week- it is hard to believe that it is supposed to be incredibly cold next week! The way the weather changes here reminds me of Little House on the Prairie.

Today, I decided to make gluten free tortillas. They have been a nemesis of sorts for the past couple years. I am always leery every time I bake or cook. Everything I use here is so different, I never know what I am going to get! But, it worked! I was so happy! I made 2 beautiful, flexible flour tortillas. I could only manage to eat one, but just knowing I have dough in the fridge and it is possible makes me so excited!!! It's the little things!

Time just seems to fly by. I did not realize it is already Oct 11th! We have been here for over a month! We have done so much, so I know it has been that long, but it seems like we just got here! This week, we watched a show that had simultaneous episodes about a dog, Thanksgiving, Black Friday, and Christmas complete with traditions. Add to that the first year I missed the PW conference, and it made for a terrible case of sadness. A reminder of the fact that life goes on. People move on. We will move on. It also reminded me that we have no place to call home. That was the hardest! When this is all through, we will have to start again. We will have to find a new home. We will have to create new memories and traditions wherever we are at. It was also the first time I allowed myself to realize that home may be outside of San Diego. Being here is helping me see beyond where I am. Beyond what I can imagine or control. The things that terrified me so much the past 3 years are gone and now I can see. I am no longer afraid of loss because there is nothing to lose! But it doesn't make it easy. Knowing that, I have to make a conscious effort to focus on today. It is super easy to get caught up in the "what ifs" of next year. But they will be waiting for us. So, I will look for ways to make this holiday season wonderful, but it has been terribly tough to find a comfort for missing Coco! Good night!!

No comments:

Post a Comment