Sunset

Sunset

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Stillness of the Heart

 There is something about fresh morning air, fog, green grass, and fall leaves that captivate the eyes! New experiences everywhere! Today, 5 miles was a breeze with this newfound thing called a "season"! Somehow, there has to be a way to combine a tranquil ocean and an eerie forest in perfect harmony, right? Yeah- I know...

This morning, I was really impacted by a song that came on. It is called "You Speak" by Audrey Assad. It wasn't the first song that came on. I had music going the entire time. Yet, this song broke through my thoughts and demanded I focus on it. As I listened, I realized that she was singing exactly what I have been reminding my heart every moment. It is so encouraging to know that you are not alone in your struggles. The chorus says," In the silence of the heart You speak- it is there that I will know You and You will know me". There it is! My heart's cry as of late. I want to know God! I want Him to know me. I want Him to speak. Tears proceeded (because apparently I have become that person now) and I began to recall my devotional time. It has been rough reading the account of Saul and David- the stories of failure, the pursuit of evil. Instead of looking at it from a redemptive state, I have allowed myself to see the humanity of it. The fact that David ran for his life. That Jonathan was an amazing friend. That Saul was jealous and petty. That there is power in the voice of a King, and when He takes matters from God's hand and places them in His own, God takes that VERY seriously! So pondering and chewing on this section of scripture has left my heart full of loudness that has clouded the voice of God. His grace, love, sacrifice. It had kept me from the quiet place of stillness that allows Him to speak. Funny how we can ransom our quiet time with God! We can take time that is meant for God to speak and talk it all up with our ideals and thoughts. The song was a reminder that God is always speaking. Always! Sometimes, I just need to stop talking and listen. Be still! Not in actions. But in my heart. Stillness in my heart! How does one even begin to do that? I guess you just stop. Stop talking. Stop trying to figure it out. Stop interjecting. Then, the clarity comes. Oh Lord! Help me! This task is going to be harder than I know! :)

"God has put into each of our lives a void that cannot be filled by the world. We may leave God or put Him on hold, but He is always there, patiently waiting for us... To turn back to Him" - Emilie Barnes

"God waits for us in the inner sanctuary of the soul. He welcomes us there." Richard Foster

"To The Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years is as one day. The Lord is not slow in doing what He promises- the way some people understand slowness. But God is being patient with you. He does not want anyone to be lost, but he wants all people to change their hearts and lives." 2 Peter 3:8-9 NCV


Foggy morning splendor!

No comments:

Post a Comment