Sunset

Sunset

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Beauty is in the eyes... Of a child

There are so many things in life to be grateful for. Why do we spend time chasing happiness when we can have joy? Why do we fight God instead of trusting Him? When someone figures it out, can you please tell me? Yesterday I took Leah along on my coveted beach walk. My favorite part about that walk is the solitude. It was a bit different having company (that wasn't a doggy). Let me tell you a little about my wonderful daughter. Leah Joy. She is named so appropriately, as she is such a joy in our lives.She is one of the most genuine people you will ever meet. Sammy and I often joke that she was the recipient of all the good in each of us. She is sweet, compassionate, giving, and logical. She is gifted in so many ways. She is athletic, smart, musical, easy-going, and beautiful. I sometimes watch her and realize that she will never know how truly beautiful she is! She demands no attention for it, which makes her even more beautiful. And her heart! Oh how she loves! She is an amazing young woman. Well, that said, she was able to accompany me for her first time. I have walked that path a hundred times, but it was so refreshing to see it through her eyes. She would run and jump on any sea weed bubble she could find. She collected 10 sand dollars- perfectly intact. She checked to make sure they were not alive, and threw the live ones back into the ocean. The leftovers were for her to take home. Her desire? To paint designs on them and give them to all of her friends. She collected things that looked shiny and pretty. She ran in and out of the water. She stopped to pet every dog. She was grateful. She didn't worry about that afternoon, or lunch, or any other thing! She just enjoyed that moment for what it was. Sammy and I often talk about how our kids never experienced pain in life. How joyful they are because of it. Yet, in that moment, I realized joy is a choice. It is based on what we choose to fixate our vision upon. She was able to enjoy the scenery. She was able to appreciate every detail I took for granted all the walks prior. She helped me to see my surroundings in a different way. Isn't that what joy is all about? In life, I am often in such a hurry to go (I am not even sure what to) that I forget to look around. I am so fixated on the finish line that I forget to enjoy the ride! I am so task-driven. But God's desire for me is just the same as my desire for Leah (and Christian)- joy. I want to watch them love life. I want to see things through their eyes. I want to sit back and appreciate their unique perspective on things I have already experienced.  What a blessing it is to have children! It teaches us so many things about the nature of our Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment