Sunset

Sunset

Monday, August 25, 2014


 God is my portion and my delight; my hope in whom I have trust.


Pain rips, sears, floods
With overwhelming vengeance
Hopeless, desperate for more 
To satisfy it's craving 
Leaving devastation in its wake Ravaging deliberately the tenderness of flesh
A place where no man sees
Where no sun shines
A hollow grave lay deep within the heart
Where once was flourishing life
BUT GOD
Who came in Light
And penetrated deep in
sorrow-filled wells
With His own flesh and blood replaced
The aimless wanderings of 
Disabled creatures
Once paralyzed in anguish
Now free and whole
Basked in the glow of warmth
Pouring forth from infinite 
Grace and mercy
Entombed in man from eternity
Available to all who open their eyes
And see the hand that reaches out
From death to life
We are transformed with
Burdens to lay aside and armor to fight
The searing, ripping, jolts no more
The pain - reminders that we are
Waiting for Our groom to come
And whisk away His bride for
ETERNITY
Where pain is just a memory
And blissful prose and melody
Will drip from tongues of perfect beings
In harmonious anthems 
to the One who came and ransomed captive His people
With Love

In High School, I enjoyed writing poems. This poem was written after an incredibly terrible time in my life. It caused me to turn my back on The Lord for a brief season. I hardened my heart to His voice, and I was miserable. I wrote this when I stopped fighting His will in my life. I found it in one of my old journals. It is funny because reading it reminded me of the day so vividly, but I hadn't thought of that day since. I guess that is the reason one journals in the first place? It was a summer evening and I was so over everything in my life. I ruined all options in my life because of my response to this situation. I allowed it to take away all the things I worked so hard for. That evening had marked one year from this terrible event. I had kept it in because it seemed the best thing to do at the time. But it changed me in ways that I still deal with today. That night, however, I sat in my favorite chair at the library and wrote that poem. It was the beginning of a greater work God was doing in my life. A work that will continue until I am home with Him! 

No comments:

Post a Comment